Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) are semiconductor devices based around a matrix of configurable logic blocks (CLBs) connected through programmable interconnects.
FREMONT, CA: After manufacturing, FPGA(Field Programmable Gate Arrays) can be reprogrammed to desired application or functionality requirements. This feature differentiates FPGAs from Application Specific Integrated Circuits (ASICs), which are custom manufactured for specific design tasks. Although one-time programmable (OTP) FPGAs are accessible, the dominant types are SRAM based, which can be reprogrammed as the design evolves.
The variance between an ASIC and an FPGA
ASIC and FPGAs have diverse value propositions and must be cautiously evaluated before choosing one over the other. Information abounds that compares the two technologies. While FPGAs were selected for lower speed/complexity/volume designs in the past, today’s FPGAs simply push the 500 MHz performance barrier.
FPGAs are a persuasive proposition for almost any type of design with unprecedented logic density rises and other features, like embedded processors, DSP blocks, clocking, and high-speed serial at ever lower price points.
Applications of FPGA(Field Programmable Gate Arrays)
Because of their programmable nature, FPGAs are ideal for many markets. As the industry leader, Xilinx gives comprehensive solutions consisting of FPGA devices, innovative software, and configurable, ready-to-use IP cores for markets and applications like:
• Aerospace & Defense - Radiation-tolerant FPGAs and intellectual property for image processing, waveform generation, and partial reconfiguration for SDRs.
• Broadcast & Pro AV - Adapt to varying requirements faster and lengthen product life cycles with Broadcast Targeted Design Platforms and solutions for high-end professional broadcast systems.
• ASIC Prototyping - ASIC prototyping with FPGAs allows fast and accurate SoC system modeling and verification of embedded software
• Automotive silicon &IP solutions for gateway and driver assistance systems, convenience, comfort, and in-vehicle infotainment.
• Consumer Electronics - Cost-effective solutions enable next-generation, full-featured consumer applications, such as converged handsets, digital flat panel displays, information appliances, home networking, and residential set-top boxes.
• Data Center - Destined for high-bandwidth, low-latency servers, networking, and storage applications to bring greater value to cloud deployments.
• High-Performance Computing & Data Storage - Solutions for NAS(Network Attached Storage), SAN(Storage Area Network), servers, and storage appliances.
• Industrial - Xilinx FPGAs and aimed design platforms for Industrial, Scientific, and Medical (ISM) allow higher degrees of flexibility, faster time-to-market, and lower overall NRE(non-recurring engineering costs) for a wide range of applications like industrial imaging and surveillance, industrial automation, and medical imaging apparatus.
• Medical - For diagnostic, monitoring, & therapy applications, the Virtex FPGA & Spartan® FPGA families can be utilized to fulfill a range of processing, display, and I/O interface requirements.
• Wired Communications - End on solutions for the Reprogrammable Networking Linecard Packet Processing, serial backplanes, Framer/MAC, and more
• Wireless Communications - RF, baseband, connectivity, transport, and networking solutions for wireless equipment, addressing standards such as WCDMA, HSDPA, WiMAX, and others.
• Security - Xilinx provides solutions that meet the changing needs of security applications, from access control to surveillance & safety systems.
• Video & Image Processing - Xilinx FPGAs & aimed design platforms allow higher degrees of flexibility, faster time-to-market, and lower overall NRE(non-recurring engineering costs) for various video and imaging applications.